Saturday, November 26, 2011

Smokin' D's BBQ- St. Augustine,FL




Smokin' D's fits the true definition of bbq shack- a one room building with the pit on one end and a small ordering counter on the other. And if you're hungry, bring your cash, because they don't take credit cards. There is no inside seating, but they have a good sized parking area, a few chairs and maybe a picnic table under a tree out back.

Inside, the building was quiet and empty except for the two man crew pulling meat off the brick pit and pouring sauce into plastic cups. It was 2:30 in the afternoon so I imagine they were catching up from the lunch crowd.



I was in the mood for a light lunch, so I ordered a chopped pork sandwich with bbq beans as the side and of course a sweet tea. They quickly packaged my order along with a cup of sweet sauce and I was on my way.


The bite-size chunks of pork were piled high on toasted white bread. The meat was so moist it almost burst as I bit into it. While it was well-smoked, there was little bark to give any extra flavor, so I found myself dipping some of the chunks in the (quite good) sauce for a little more kick. I'm glad I chose beans as my side, because they were hands down the best I've ever had. They had little or no tomato sauce in them but had a hint of brown sugar and bits of smoky meat that made them absolutely delicious. I would go back just for their beans. The pork was very respectable even if it could have used more flavor, and I hope I do get back sometime to try their other meats.

Smokin' D's BBQ on Urbanspoon
FOOD RATING: 3.5 OF 5
OVERALL RATING: 4 OF 5



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never miss an opportunity to stop in Smokin Ds. I just wish it was closer to us.