Friday, March 12, 2021

Island Bar-B-Q, Fernandina Beach, FL

 

In my initial attempt to find some decent 'que on the island, I actually pulled into the parking lot here. It looked like a run-of-the-mill buffet restaurant that also served barbecue, but in a strip mall, and I just wasn't feeling it that day. Several weeks later, and with a couple of the other local options under my belt, I finally decided to give it a try. 


It's a small space, but big on local flavor- not exactly what you would expect to find next door to a PC repair shop. Or maybe it is. There was a small buffet, which was what most of the clientele who all seemed to be regulars were eating. They did have a menu, and it included several barbecue options, so I went for the pork sandwich and slaw.

In the short time I waited for my food, I heard a lot of small talk    about who was renting what apartment and whose kids were trying out for the baseball team- the kind of stuff average people talk about over a decent lunch on a Friday afternoon. Most patrons were not masked, but I got the feeling no one would be looked down on for wearing one either.

My sandwich arrived piled high with mostly chopped pork, but there were some bigger pieces along with a good amount of seasoned edges included on a fresh roll. The one drawback was that it also included several pieces of cartilage that I had to spit out. The mustard sauce added some interest. The cole slaw was respectable.

After my last experience, I was pleased to have found a good sandwich that seemed to be freshly prepared, even if the cleanliness of the place and preparation of the food weren't exactly professional grade. While it might not be worth a return visit, I found the unpretentious atmosphere to be just what I was looking for. If you're looking for laid-back, this is your spot.

FOOD RATING: 2.5 OF 5
AUTHENTICITY: 3 OF 5
OVERALL: 3 OF 5
PRICE: $ 
 
 


No comments: