Monday, July 18, 2005

Bennett's Bar-B-Que, Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge,TN


Bennett's has been one of my favorite barbeque experiences in the past. I have not been there recently, but my buddy Ole Smoky just made a visit and has graciously allowed me to post his review. As he says, "There were so many things on the menu that I wanted to try but could not decide which item I wanted most. Would it be the hickory smoked ribs? Maybe the ½ hickory smoked chicken? Man, the brisket sure does sound good. Then I found it! The word every BBQ lover likes to read on a menu; “Sampler”. I ordered their Texan Sampler. This comes with a generous amount of chopped BBQ pork, beef brisket, sausage, chicken and pork spareribs. Sides included BBQ beans and coleslaw and a toasted bun. All this for $17.99. Everything on my plate was wonderful. All the meat had an awesome hickory smoke flavor without being overpowering. The smoke ring on the brisket was amazing. Great skin on the chicken and the chopped pork was possibly the best I have ever had. I do not know what Bruce puts in his sauce but it is out of this world. The spare ribs were a little dry and tough but they did not bring down the overall quality of this dish. Overall, I would give Bennett’s a 9.0 on a scale of 1-10.

Ole Smoky visited the Gatlinburg branch which is smaller and perhaps less chain-like than the one in Pigeon Forge which I have been to. The food was still great- they have an especially good salad bar to go with all that meat. My only complaint was that the food was a little cool by the time we got it and since they were packed we sort of felt rushed through.

I give them:

FOOD RATING: 5 OF 5
OVERALL RATING: 4 OF 5

For the rest of Ole Smokey's review, click here.

No comments: