Thursday, March 18, 2010

Boston Barbecue- Boston,GA


You could drive by the whole town of Boston in under a minute and never know it was there. Halfway between Valdosta and Thomasville, traffic zips by on US 84 at 65 miles an hour, but if you slow down and drive about a mile off the main road, you will think you've gone back in time. It's a charming small town with a main street passed by when they built the four lane highway, and consequently has remained largely unchanged for many years. On the sunny spring day when I visited, the streets were lined with flowering dogwoods, adding to the quaint beauty of the historic buildings.










Boston Barbecue is right on Main Street-you just park on the street and enter through the front porch. The menu is typical barbecue fare, but this day they had a smoked chicken lunch special, so I ordered that. I'm not usually a big fan of chicken, but the smoked breast I got was exceptional. It was juicy and had great flavor. I don't know what kind of wood they were smoking with, but it worked very well. My sides of fried okra and potato salad were good as well.

I was so impressed that I went back for lunch again the next day (there was only one other restaurant in town anyway). This time I had a pork sandwich, which again was quite good, though it didn't surprise me like the chicken. What made more of an impression on me was that our waitress remembered what we drank from the day before and treated us like she had known us forever. Many of the customers were the same as the day before, and even they seemed genuinely friendly though we obviously were strangers in a place that didn't see many. I couldn't help overhearing their conversations about the weather, who had their crops planted and the big scandal everyone was talking about- it seemed a city employee had been caught fudging his hours to get overtime pay. I smiled to myself as I got up to pay, say goodbye and return to the modern world. If I'm ever in this area again I will return, if not for the food, definitely for it's southern charm and hospitality.

FOOD RATING: 4 OF 5
OVERALL RATING: 5 OF 5                                                                                           


Boston Barbeque
                                                                                              110 S. Main St.
Boston, Ga 31626 2

299.498.7266  Mark and Paula Roberts
Tues - Thur 11-9 and Fri, Sat 11-10

No comments: