Saturday, March 10, 2018

Woodpecker's Backyard BBQ- St. Augustine, FL



When I first saw some of my friends raving about Woodpecker's online, I thought I had been there before. When I was finally in the area again, I drove by and realized I was thinking of a different place. Since I wasn't often in this area of no man's land between south Jacksonville and St. Augustine, I figured I better take advantage of this time and make a stop. I pulled in the almost full dirt parking lot a little after noon on a Friday. The place was packed, and I was under a bit of a time constraint, so I opted for getting my lunch to go.










Woodpecker's sits diagonally at the intersection of SR 13 and CR 210. Here, the main entrance is in back, and the to-go counter is in front facing the road. There is a large, rambling dirt parking area among the shade trees out back, as well as several picnic tables for eating outside when the weather is nice or when the the inside is packed, which happens often.



This time, I went for the standard pork plate with two sides. The pork was some of the most moist and flavorful I've had, and the sides didn't disappoint either. Many of them incorporate datil peppers, a flavor unique to the St. Augustine area. I tried the datil beans and datil corn. In both the sweet heat of the peppers gave a delicious kick to the taste buds. I was hooked.


Since that first trip, I've returned several times, made possible by our move to Ponte Vedra last year. Woodpecker's has become a solid favorite of mine, forming the western point of a triangulation of top-notch joints within 45 minutes of home. They are complemented by Down South BBQ in Ponte Vedra Beach, and Smokin' D's near Crescent Beach. I don't know of a place within the triangle that serves better 'que than any of the three.

Woodpecker's brisket, pictured here with a meaty rib bone, is some of the best I've found in Florida. It has the thick but not overly dry bark characteristic of a long slow smoke having imparted it's ever present but not overpowering flavors to the beef. This is probably my favorite meat here, though any of the others can stand up on their own too. The sides hold up their end of the deal, making a meal that so far has failed to disappoint.

Woodpeckers Backyard BBQ Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - ZomatoSPST RATINGS
FOOD RATING: 4.5 OF 5
OVERALL RATING: 4.5 OF 5
EXTRA POINTS FOR: LOCAL FLAVOR



 

No comments: