Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Captain Jack's Smokehouse- Fernandina Beach, FL

 

For my first new visit and review of 2021, I ventured into the Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island area, a locale I have visited very infrequently despite living less than an hour away. I found a couple of interesting looking prospects in a quick online search, but alas, the first one was not open, and the second looked more like a strip-mall buffet failure than I cared to take a chance on at the time. Perhaps I'll get a chance to return to them. Taking one more glance at the map, I noticed Captain Jack's, almost hidden at the base of the bridge back to the mainland. Seeing it was my last option, I made the required U-turn and found my way to the door.

It really is a nice location, even though it's a little outside of the town proper. Inside is spacious, and there is an inviting back porch that faces the Intercoastal Waterway, which would have been a pleasant spot to spend my lunch hour if the weather hadn't been so damp and chilly.

 

I got a window seat overlooking it instead. Observing the several references to Captain Jack's prowess in some of the regional bbq competitions, I quickly made the decision to try the pulled pork sandwich. The weather seemed to call for a heartier side, so I opted to pair it with their smoked mac and cheese.
 

 

It came out quick and hot. The presentation was perfect even if the sandwich itself was a bit underwhelming. To give the reader a better sense of the type of place this is, their menu includes steak and seafood options and a full bar, in addition to all the standard barbecue fare. So the barbecue experience here is a little bit filtered through an "island chic" lens. I hoped to still get a good sandwich, since their barbecue was award-winning. Ans it was. It just wasn't great. The toast was more sweet than the typical garlic, and the meat didn't have enough flavor on it's own to take command. I searched for smoky bits, but was left empty handed. It needed some sauce.






Fortunately, there were six to choose from, and while none particularly stood out, at least half of them worked to make an edible sandwich. The mac and cheese was quite good, although I didn't really detect the smoked flavor in that either. I left full, if not 100% satisfied. It would have been a great meal at any casual dining spot, but as a strictly barbecue offering it came up a little short.

I will be in the area more in the future, so hopefully I will get back to try the rest of the barbecue menu. And maybe sit out on that porch for a while.

FOOD RATING: 3 OF 5                                               Captain Jack's website
AUTHENTICITY: 3 OF 5                                            Captain Jack's Facebook
OVERALL RATING: 3 OF 5
PRICE: $$ 
 


No comments: