Friday, January 08, 2021

Willard's Bar-B-Q Junction- Jacksonville, FL

 

This is kind of an update to a previous review, but I'm treating it as a new review because in the ensuing decade (can't believe it's been that long!) they opened this newer, larger location and closed the previous one. And *spoiler alert* they got better.

This location actually feels a little older- I think it was an existing building they remodeled- and it isn't spacious by any means, but it's just the right size for a down home barbeque joint. It is a little cramped, which makes social distancing rather difficult, and the use of masks is not enforced, so if that is an issue for you be forewarned. The inside seating area is tastefully decorated in a rustic theme along with multiple expressions of support for law enforcement.

Since it had been so long between visits, I went with my standard first try choice of a pulled pork plate with two sides. Let me say something about the sides. Willard's has far more than the standard beans and slaw; they offer about 15 different southern/country style sides to pair your meal with. I choose one standby- baked beans, and one which is common at country buffets but not often seen at a barbecue restaurant- stewed okra and tomatoes.


The pork was beautiful. It was done well and fully met my expectations, but the sides even went beyond that and took what would have been an average meal a notch up. Somebody knows how to cook around here. Having said that, I still took the opportunity to try out their sauces on the pork. Nothing to disappoint their either. As usual, I was a little partial to the mustard one with my pork, but any of them would suffice.

It's not the best barbecue in Jax, but it's definitely worth consideration for anyone in the area looking for a solid meal on the Westside. I don't know what took me so long to return, but it won't be another ten years until next time.

FOOD RATING: 3.5 OF 5
AUTHENTICITY: 3 OF 5
OVERALL RATING: 3.5 OF 5
PRICE: $
 

Willard's website

Willard's on Facebook




 

 







No comments: